Thursday, February 21, 2013

Octopus Soup










The book that I read was Octups Soup by Mercer Mayer.  This book was about an octopus that was moving out of his parents house. On his way of moving out be got caught by fisherman.  They wanted to make soup out of the octopus.  Through out the book you see the octopus trying to get away.  This book has no words so it gives the children a chance to tell their own story.  I like that children can do this with this book because we as teacher want them to get use to seeing all the words that we are trying to teach them, but sometimes it is nice to see what they think the pictures are saying. You can get 30 different stories out of one book.  I would love to have this in my personal library because I think it would be a nice book for the children to relax with or write their own story to.  Then they could tell their story to the class.  It would be nice to see all of these different stories!  Then I thought that a cute fun activity would be making their own octopus.  So I posted a video above to show you how you would do that!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I like your video link to your book. This is a great activity to involve the class with especially Kindergarteners. I like when a story has an option of coming up with your own conclusion done by the students. I will look for this book next time I'm at the library. Nice choice on your book and the activity link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh, I liked that you pointed out that this could be a good book for a child to relax with-- that ties into something I've been thinking about reading this week. It came to me that literacy has to do with our comfort with the demands a text (or task) make son us. This kind of book would be great for a child that struggles to read a book on their own. They could interact with this whole book on their own and come away understanding the story. How cool!
    Also, thanks for finding this video-- nice, easy little activity that could be done before or after reading the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I agree, I think it'd be really awesome to see what each student could come up with. It's sad because the students in today's generation aren't utilizing all of their own thinking and imaginations very much anymore so this would be a good practice to get into. They need to exercise in this way. I'm very interested in this book; I know I'd use it along with other wordless books as often as I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this book and like you said you can make up so many different stories for the children. I have never seen a book like this and I'm glad you shared this book with the class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely have to look for this book. I like that the children make up their own story to go along with the pictures. I am sure students would love to make their own octopus. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete