Wednesday, April 24, 2013

My Big Rig


 
 
I read My Big Rig by Jonathan London.  this book is about a little boy playing with his toy truck.  He goes through out the book and say how cool it would be to drive a big rig.  It gives you different aspects of being a truck driver.  It shows all of the different things that a truck driver would go through.  The books also shows the different type of environments that truck drivers have to go through ( Deserts, forests, mountains, etc..).  This book gives the fun aspect of being a truck driver, but I think it should because people do not always respect truck drivers. 
 
 
I think that it would be hard to have a lesson about this book.  I think I might be able to do a journal writing asking them what they would do if they were a truck driver.  This would just be a fun book to read to them right before they went home or even right after lunch.  this would be a fun book to also have so that the children could read on there own.  The words are easy enough for them to understand at a young age!
    

4 comments:

  1. Like you said, I don't really see a lesson in this book, but it sounds like a really good book anyways. I think it would still be a really great book to read to a younger class because it's informational, but at the same time fun. It's easier for younger children to learn new information when it's presented in a fun and interesting way, like in this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would use this book in a classroom, not only as a book for the kids to read on their own, but to teach the kids about different professions. As an activity, I might read the book, then have the kids watch a documentary or some sort of movie about truck drivers. Like you said, I don't think truck drivers get much respect, so I would educate my kids on what they really do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be a stretch to find a lesson in this book but I believe anything is possible! Since the book shows all the different climate and environments they have to go through it could be a great weather lesson. It could really just be used to introduce careers or get them excited in different future jobs. Either way this sounds like a fun book to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a cute book and I like that they have books for such young children that show truck drivers in such a positive light. I think this is a profession that is often times forgotten about and children should learn to respect every profession and know their options for the future.

    ReplyDelete